Thursday, April 10, 2008

Poker Night & The House

Poker night and here are the results.
13 players + 5 rebuys = 18 x 500 = 9,000 chips
1st - Calypso Jim - 90
2nd - Hanging Chad - 50
3rd - Cutter - 30
4th - Snakehead - 10

I got to the final table by sucking out on McScotty's AA vs. my 10-10. spiked an 10 on the river. A two-outer. Later, I came in 6th, but had a pretty cool comeback.
I lost a huge hand on a nut flush draw with 2 guys going all-in ahead of me. I had to call about $700 (with $760 in my stack) as the pot was huge (about $3500) and i.....had the nut flush draw........$700 to win $3500, a no brainer. of course, i missed it and was left with $60. Well, i double and tripled up a few times, bought some blinds and i was up to $1500. Still lower stack but more than capable to cover $100 - $200 blinds. went back to about $700 and went all in hitting middle pair (8's). My caller unfortunately hit top pair (J's) and put me out in 6th place. I played pretty tight again tonight, but really never got much to play with. i never got any painted pairs all night, just 10's a few times and some low pairs. bought some nice hands betting in last position with multiple players in the pot. my only real boo-boo was maybe calling the nut flush hand, but the pot was too big to fold. I am very good at hanging around with a small stack. i do it on a regular basis. the only problem with that is you can't push the big stacks off any hands. you always have to pay attention who you are in the hand against. Monster stacks will call anything hoping to hit, as they can afford it.
today's lesson..."pot odds". no matter what your hand is, never call a super large bet unless you are getting 3, 4 or 5-to-1 odds on the money you need to call. ie. if the pot is $200 and someone bets $1000, you need to pay $1000 to win $1200. you are risking $1000 to win $1200. you may think wow, you double you money, but unless you know you have the best hand the risk doesn't match the reward. if 4 players bet $1000 the pot is $4200. it is worth the risk, even with a lesser hand, as you can win 4x what you are about to bet. there is my lesson on "pot odds" today, kids. the bigger the pot, the more risk you take. smaller pot....smaller risk.
Here are the house pics for today. not alot to write home about. I think there were only 2 guys working all day today. 75% of the floor down, but still no 2nd floor above the back (as seen in the pics). not sure of the weather for tomorrow. a few drops on the windshield as i was coming home from cards tonight. I was supposed to rain for the past 2 days and we have only see about 20 min. of precipitation in that time. we are pushing our luck.......

No comments: