Thursday, September 4, 2008

Labor Day Weekend and an End Of An Era

Here is how the weekend went down.
Friday - Took Friday off and Juju and I did some long put-off errands after taking Cooter to daycare. We were going to move some stuff over to the new house, but decided not to as the guys work slow enough and they would all but stop working to bullcrap with us. Picked up Cooter in the afternoon and went to the house after supper to see what progress (or lack of) was made.
Saturday - Juju's cousin came into town from Chicago. "The Rat" is what we call her. It seems everyone in Juju's (and my) family has an animal nickname.... curious.
She stopped over with Juju's other cuz Jen and we went to see the house. Afterwards we stopped at the Goat's house and visited with her. Then the Turnbuckles stopped over and we went to their house for BLTs and salsa. You make good salsa Sissy. We were there a few hours and it was Cooter's bedtime.
Sunday - Sunday was a crazy fun day. I did laundry like a MOFO most of the day. and then at 4 we went to the Luce Labor Day Picnic. It is a picnic that our church friends put on every year. It was fun. My folks, my brothr Bear and his fam and all of the usual suspects from church. I can't help to think the picnic was a little different this year as there is a lot of crappy stuff happening at church lately and we have basically stopped going. There was an uncomfortable undertone at the picnic as all the usual church chit-chat was non-existent. It was great to see some people I only really see once a year. The Conleys, some out-of-town Luces and actually many of our church friends we really don't see much of since we stopped going. We stayed a few hours and then to the Turnbuckles for their Pig Roast. Of course there was a poker game going and a bunch of beers. I basically got hammered, which is unusual for me, but the beers were going down pretty smoothly. I didn't play any poker, but got into the family BS session. Juju drove home and I passed out in bed when we got home.
Monday - Finished up the laundry in the morning and then we went to Aunt Kate and Uncle Roo's house to go swimming and picnic.
Tuesday - Tuesday morning back to work, but my boss Willy and Main Street sprung the NFL Fantasy draft on me.It was happening Tuesday night. They decided to do it on Friday when I was off. Crap. Hello, I have a phone... It started at 6 and ended about 10. I have never done an NFL draft. I have been in my share of MLB drafts many years ago. I am pretty happy with my team. We will see how the season plays out.
Wednesday - This is where the end of an Era tale begins. This was the last week of poker, maybe for awhile, maybe forever. I don't need to go into the details of why, but it is done.
Here is how the final week went down.
17 Players - Not sure of the rebuys. I think 3 or 4.
4th Place - Sandy
3rd place - Heather
2nd Place - Spitter McGee
1st Place - Mark
Mark and his wife Sandy are so new to the game they never got nicknames. Crap. I think I said this last week, but it is a shame we had to quit as it was just starting to get fun again with all the chatting and BS-ing. We had 5 ladies playing on the final week. Captain Dave was to my right and he never stopped yapping (I loved it). I won a nice hand early. I limped in with poket 9s and after a near all-skate of limpers I caught a 9 on the flopped and bet just the right amount to keep a majority in the hand. I took down a pot over 500 chips. It was not the proper play, to limp-in first position, but it sure paid off.
To everyone who ever played in my game. I looked forward to every week and trying to out-wit you. Sometimes I came home with some extra money in my pockets and some weeks I came home shaking my head, but every week I had a story to tell someone, or a bad beat to complain about, or a win to gloat about. I will miss the game, but I will miss all my poker friends more.
Thanks again for a great run and some great fun.

No comments: